Friday, May 7, 2010

FABRIC!!!

I joined a quilting bee in April and I am so excited! The basic idea is that 12 strangers sign up in a group over the internet and then work on each others' quilts. Every month, you'll get a package of fabric and directions for how to make the block that the person wants. When it's my month, I get to send out packages and everyone sews for me. Then when everyone gets their own blocks back, they can make an entire quilt.

I figured it would be a good way to keep working on quilting techniques without making a million quilts. I get to use other peoples' fabrics and learn new blocks, but I don't have to make a whole quilt out of every one.

I got my first shipment of fabric yesterday and I am very happy to get started. I promised Holly Dolly some pictures so here they are:









It's the same 9 fabrics in different arrangements. I laid them out in little stacks because that's how they will be in the quilt blocks. I was just playing around with what I think works well together.

This should be fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh!!!! I love love LOVE the nicey jane print she sent you! Have you seen it in the darker navy blue background? Just heaven. If only I were a little (a lot) more motivated and less tired then I would totally (maybe) put a little baby quilt together.
Something using these fabrics would be quilty nirvana:
http://www.heatherbaileystore.com/product-p/ab-nj-hb14dove.htm
http://www.heatherbaileystore.com/product-p/ab-nj-hb18lagoon.htm
http://www.heatherbaileystore.com/product-p/ab-nj-hb13dandelion.htm
http://www.heatherbaileystore.com/product-p/ab-nj-hb20blue.htm

Melinda said...

Cute fabric and great idea! Almost as cool as my sisters' and my traveling quilt. :) Wanna do a quilting bee with me (and some others, of course) sometime? I'd totally be up for it!

Lynaya said...

I love the fabric! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Rachel Clare said...

What a FUN idea!!

Jen said...

I really like the 3rd arrangement. This sounds fun! I'm glad you're going to keep quilting--because I'm going to pay you to make me a quilt one of these days so I can keep warm. I loved that quilt you posted a while back.