Sunday, August 17, 2008

August in Phoenix

Yes, that's right, we decided to take our vacation during the hottest part of the summer--we're crazy.

It's been very fun. I've spent a lot of my time reading. I have been hopelessly devoted to the Twilight saga. I really enjoy the characters and the way Stephanie Meyers really makes me feel their emotions. I finished books 1 and 2 during the two weeks before we came, and I finished books 3 and 4 in the last nine days. Yeah, addicted. But it's entirely worth it. I'll go back to reading Anne of Green Gables now, which well feel like down-shifting from 135mph to 5mph. :D

If I'm not reading, I'm watching the baby (like I would normally do) or hanging out with family and friends. My grandma was here for a few days, finishing her earlier trip from Escondido. I really enjoyed having her around.

We had the August family birthday party last week, as well as Karlie's Opening Ceremonies Party. (I have really enjoyed the Olympics too, by the way.) I've had lunches and dinners with my good friends, and even been to the movies, thanks to Mom babysitting for the millionth time. (We saw The Dark Knight and I really didn't care for it, sorry.)

We even caught a great monsoon storm the other night which I was hoping for. I miss those in California where the rain just isn't the same. The clouds are incredible, especially to watch them evolve during the day. Then comes the dust with its raw desert smell, followed by rain drops; fat and sparse at first, then dense and furious for 20 minutes. The storm usually stops as quickly as it started and the flooded roads are dry again in an hour, leaving behind the fragrance of wet earth. *Sigh*

Here are some pictures of Rebekah enjoying Arizona too.




One of the best things about being here is that we were able to attend my nephew's baptism. Mitchell turned eight on August 9, and his baptism was yesterday. A lot of family attended his special occasion. It was wonderful to see him make such an important decision. He was nervous and excited, but after he came out of the water, he was all smiles. I was privileged to give a talk on prayer and it went really well. At the luncheon afterward, we enjoyed Amy's home, lots of food, good conversation, Costco cake, and Mitchell opening his presents. Malcom and I gave him a mini hymnal which he's been wanting for a long time. Although he's shy, he's been singing more lately (thank you Rock Band!) and I think he's really ready to develop that talent.


3 comments:

Leslie said...

I LOVE the picture you took of Jason and Mitchell -- and Mitchell with his hymnal! Thanks for posting those!! We were truly sad to have missed his big day. :\

Cedar said...

That picture is way to cute of your nephew and his dad walking. Thats a classic. I am glad you got to visit hot AZ!! Up north is not to bad, we love it here!!

Marianne said...

So, do you know how much we love superheroes?! Well, if you do, then you also know that I am so offended that you didn't like Dark Knight!! ;) j/k We loved it! And because of your disinterest, I am going to have to think long and hard about whether or not we can still be friends!!... Ok, I've decided we can... I guess if the last 23 years didn't bust our friendship, then nothing will!! Love ya!! Love the pics!!